Sunday, August 12, 2012

Walls, Neighbors and Warzones

This is not my typical content, but something I am sure everyone runs into at some point. Basically a problem any and all who live in a community encounter-neighbors.

What do you do with the neighbor who builds something or neglects his property in a way that leaves you wondering what is he doing or worse just effects the community? 

I am dealing with such today. Basically a neighbor who owns a house two doors down. He decided recently that he would convert part of of his small lot behind his residence into a parking lot. At first blush this was good - less cars on an already congested street. The challenge was that his lot was on a hill and to properly level the lot, he needed a substantial retaining wall.


He had apparently went back and forth with the township on what was acceptable, got the proper permits, and proceeded to build such a wall. I wish I had participated in these discussions but neither my neighbors nor I had been made aware of them. At least I had not.

The pictures displayed here show the results. I am not sure if the owner is done or what. For the past year approximately we have had the long row of fitted blocks. It looked like the beginnings of a bunker or a 3rd rate highway project. I now use it as a landmark when giving directions to my residence. "You are getting close when you see this big ugly concrete block wall on your left. . ." 


In the last week, however, workers have returned. Now we have the four or five blocks, which extend the wall. These new blocks are just piled on top of each other. These are not even properly fitted or joined. Plus there is a pile of rubble-cinder blocks, concrete, whatever sticking out into the street. Hopefully they will return and complete the project, but who knows.


Anyway, for now I share here, partly to vent, partly to look for suggestions and hear others' experiences with such things. I have not yet called the township, nor tracked down the owner, who does not reside there. Hopefully this week I will call the town clerk and see what the options are. I was so tempted to just get a can of red spray paint and right in the center of the one wall spray-write "WTF" in nice bold letters. My wife vetoed that idea.



1 comment:

  1. Below is a note I recently sent to the township as the wall is now complete but still a beauty.

    RGS
    11-5-12

    RE: Building Permit #24500 and 10 Hillside Avenue, Valhalla NY 10595

    I am inquiring about what if anything can be done regarding the retaining wall recently completed at 10 Hillside Avenue. - Building Permit#24500.

    I am not sure how it came to be that this retaining wall came to be. Granted it is structurally sound, but it is simply abhorrent aesthetically. Anyone intending on selling their property on Hillside will have to contend with the impression left by this wall on any and all potential buyers of their property. The ugliness of the wall we now pass by daily will cost the residents of Hillside Avenue.

    I am not sure what the process is regarding permits. I am not sure the public is normally invited to comment on such projects. Considering what this wall has done to the value of my neighbors' property, and my own property, I do believe we should have had a say on the matter.

    With these points in mind I am asking the Township, the owner of 10 Hillside, and the neighbors in its proximity to arrive at some solution. I am not asking that it be removed. I am simply asking that we somehow improve upon its appearance. I would welcome some type of lattice or facade in front of it. Ideas are welcome.

    I know others have raised the issue of the use of the property for an illegal or improperly zoned boarding house or multifamily dwelling. I really do not care about this issue aside from the fact that the increased parking capacity which the wall facilitates is used by those in the multifamily dwelling. An argument could be made that two go hand and hand and that there is a pattern evolving by the owner of this property.

    Again, my concern here is that the wall has the appearance of a bunker, or something that belongs on the side of Route 95. Honestly, no where on 95 is such materials actually used, unless perhaps they are concealed. Again, regardless of your thoughts on aesthetics, most will agree that first impressions do often effect home buyers.

    If you are unfamiliar with the wall, please do go and check it out. Also here is a link to several pictures, though these are from August when the wall was not completed - http://interestingasides.blogspot.com/2012/08/wa-neighbor-who-thinks-he-thinks-he-is.html

    ReplyDelete