Sunday, October 14, 2018

Facts versus Questions - another tale from Facebook

Recently on Facebook, (and I know my primary source for material is sadly Facebook. . . .), but again on Facebook after going back and forth with two people on the topic of Hillary Clinton and the Democrats "behaving like a pack of wild animals attacking the civil society". I look at the topic and I ask myself, why did I bother responding at all, but I did.

I basically answered the post with frustration and disappointment. One of my first responses was that if this is how the American republic engages - by yelling at each other on Facebook and a series of minor brawls on the street, if these are the best we got then perhaps it is best we just go away. As I suggested, let Kim Jong-il just blow us up. We have nothing much left to offer anyway it seems. The other discoursers were not impressed.

The other tact that I followed with was to just point out the anger, the rage of their own words against the other side, against in this case the Democrats, the Clintons, and liberals in general. This got mixed results. Largely, the other two discoursers argued that they were angry and rightfully so. The other side they claim clogs the streets with protests, run around in bizarre vagina costumes, won't let people eat in restaurants, won't let people speak at universities, routinely infest the capital buildings and just behave poorly. They shared a picture of Kathy Griffin and her head. My response to all of that is to ask what is the problem? If that is the best the liberals and Democrats have to offer, that explains why the republicans have largely dominated in governor races, state elections, house and senate races and of course the 2016 Presidential elections. Why would one complain about your opponent's incompetence?

More importantly though is why do both sides hate so much? Why did Kathy Griffin need the head? That was the original question I was trying to get to. Both sides are blinded by hate and unable to deal with actual problems. Let's NOT focus on the evils of the Clintons' and their history, nor a fading comedienne. Your posts just help her sell books. There must be something more productive we can do?

At the end of the back and forth I conceded defeat and offered up a Tommy Bolin song from Youtube. Who can argue with Tommy Bolin? You simply can't.

One of the other discoursers, however, hoping for another round perhaps, argued that it was I who was hateful and that I had no facts to offer up. I could not provide any conservatives who had acted badly. I had failed to play their game properly. I was I guess expected to respond with my own list of bad deeds initiated by Republicans and conservatives. That game is too easy and not very fun. We could easily start with a House Speaker and go from there.

Instead I offer up only "hateful rhetoric". I try not to but I am sure it happens. today I will offer up only a series of questions. Not sure if that is rhetoric or what. They are questions I am interested in.

Here we go:
  1. What is an education? 
  2. What is the value of science?
  3. Should science have a seat at the table in relation to regulation and policy?
  4. Is there such a thing as "privacy"
  5. What is the limit of individual behavior?
  6. Can you have a proper democracy in a nation of 330 million?
  7. Can one infer from what you say? If yes, how far can one go in such inferences?
  8. What drives an economy? 
  9. Can two or three numbers provide a full picture of the US economy?
  10. Does a President really have any effect on such an economy?
I stop there but these are questions and topics I am much more interested in. Further, discussion of these might help us get somewhere. . . maybe. Probably not. Best would be for me to go finish my degree or get a job. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Bob. I encounter the same problems, have had nearly the same conversations. "I have videos of your people behaving badly, and unless you have more that show my people behaving badly, I win!" Strange reasoning. Anyhow I feel another blog post coming on myself. Might not do much good, but will make me feel better . . . (BTW in case it's not clear I'm the other PM, the Thailand guy on FB, just got caught up in more weird confrontations on one of PM's posts.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment! Sadly, I just discovered it today - two years later. Oh well. Be well!

      Delete